Lauterbrunnen is a charming Swiss village nestled in a valley surrounded by towering mountains and cascading waterfalls. With its natural beauty, rich culture, and exciting outdoor activities, Lauterbrunnen is a must-visit destination for any traveler to Switzerland. Here are 21+ things to do in Lauterbrunnen that will help you make the most of your visit.
This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links. Support my blog here
TRAVEL PLANNING RESOURCES
Discover the Alpine Wonderland: 21 Unforgettable Things to Do in Lauterbrunnen
Lauterbrunnen is a captivating destination that combines stunning natural landscapes, thrilling outdoor activities, and a rich cultural heritage. Whether you’re seeking adventure, relaxation, or immersion in Swiss beauty, Lauterbrunnen offers a memorable experience for all visitors.
Want something all-inclusive? Book this private 9-day tour featuring the best things to do in Lauterbrunnen here.
Where is Lauterbrunnen?
Lauterbrunnen is a picturesque village located in the Swiss Alps, in the canton of Bern, Switzerland. It is situated in a deep valley in the heart of the Bernese Oberland region, surrounded by towering mountains and cascading waterfalls.
The village is located about 30 minutes from the city of Interlaken, which is a popular tourist destination in Switzerland. The village is easily accessible by car or train, with the nearest train station located in the village center.
Lauterbrunnen is situated at an altitude of 795 meters (2,608 feet) above sea level, making it a popular destination for winter sports enthusiasts. The surrounding mountains, including the famous Eiger, Jungfrau, and Mönch peaks, offer plenty of skiing, snowboarding, and other winter activities.
In the summer months, Lauterbrunnen transforms into a hiking and outdoor adventure destination. The village is surrounded by several hiking trails, including the famous Eiger Trail, which offers stunning views of the mountains and the valley below.
The region is also known for its natural beauty, with numerous waterfalls, lakes, and glaciers nearby. The Staubbach Falls, Trummelbach Falls, and Aletsch Glacier are all popular attractions that are easily accessible from Lauterbrunnen.
Why you should visit Lauterbrunnen
Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland is an incredibly beautiful destination that offers a unique combination of stunning natural beauty, rich culture, and exciting outdoor activities. Here are some persuasive reasons why someone should visit Lauterbrunnen:
- Natural Beauty – Lauterbrunnen is situated in a deep valley surrounded by towering mountains, cascading waterfalls, and lush green forests. The scenery is breathtaking, and the region’s natural beauty has inspired artists, poets, and writers for centuries.
- Adventure Activities – Lauterbrunnen is a paradise for adventure seekers, with plenty of outdoor activities to choose from. From skiing and snowboarding in the winter to hiking, paragliding, and canyoning in the summer, there’s always something to do in Lauterbrunnen.
- Rich Culture – Lauterbrunnen has a rich cultural heritage that is reflected in its traditional Swiss architecture, museums, and festivals. Visitors can learn about the history of the region, its customs, and its people.
- Delicious Cuisine – Switzerland is known for its delicious cuisine, and Lauterbrunnen is no exception. Visitors can sample local specialties such as raclette, fondue, and chocolate, as well as other Swiss and international dishes.
- Easy Access – Lauterbrunnen is easily accessible by car or train, making it a convenient destination for visitors from around the world. The village is just 30 minutes from Interlaken, a popular tourist destination in Switzerland.
- Family-Friendly – Lauterbrunnen is a great destination for families, with plenty of activities and attractions for children of all ages. From riding a cable car to exploring ice caves, there’s something for everyone.
- Relaxation – For those looking to relax and unwind, Lauterbrunnen is the perfect destination. Visitors can enjoy the peace and quiet of the village, take a leisurely stroll through the countryside, or simply soak up the stunning scenery.
Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland is a must-visit destination for anyone looking to experience the beauty and adventure of the Swiss Alps. Its natural beauty, rich culture, and exciting outdoor activities make it a unique and unforgettable destination.
Best Things to Do in Lauterbrunnen | Lauterbrunnen Main Attractions
Visit the Staubbach Falls
The Staubbach Falls is one of the most famous landmarks and things to do in Lauterbrunnen. The waterfall plunges 297 meters from a cliff face and is visible from the village. You can hike up to the waterfall or take a cable car to get a closer look. Book your tickets here.
Take a Hike – a favorite among things to do in Lauterbrunnen
Lauterbrunnen is a hiker’s paradise and is the most popular of things to do in Lauterbrunnen – almost inevitable. With numerous trails that offer breathtaking views of the surrounding mountains and valleys. One popular hike is the Mürrenbachfall Trail, which takes you past several waterfalls and offers stunning views of the valley.
If you’re looking for an adrenaline rush, paragliding is a must for things to do in Lauterbrunnen. You can soar above the valley and take in the stunning views from above. Several companies offer paragliding tours, and no experience is necessary. You’ll get some of the best views and since it’s a valley, it provides some of the safest paragliding experiences you have have.
Visit the Trummelbach Falls
The Trummelbach Falls is a series of ten glacier waterfalls inside a mountain. Trummelbach Falls is an extraordinary natural wonder nestled in the Lauterbrunnen Valley of Switzerland. Hidden within the heart of the mountain, this series of cascading waterfalls is an awe-inspiring sight to behold. Carved by the relentless force of glacial meltwater, the falls thunder through a labyrinth of rocky crevasses, creating a mesmerizing display of power and beauty. With ten cascades in total, visitors can explore the falls through a network of tunnels, walkways, and lifts. The falls are accessible by a lift and a short walk.
Take the Jungfraujoch Railway
The Jungfraujoch Railway takes you to the highest train station in Europe. The Jungfrau Region is located in the canton of Bern, in the central part of Switzerland. It includes the towns of Interlaken, Lauterbrunnen, Grindelwald, and Wengen, among others. Junfraujoch is also known as the top of Europe. This is probably one of the most popular things to do in Lauternbrunnen and the surrounding area.
The train ride itself is an experience, passing through tunnels and over bridges with breathtaking views of the mountains. Once you reach the top, you can enjoy panoramic views of the surrounding peaks. The Swiss travel pass unfortunately does not cover the trip there and back. However, it does provide it at a discount. Book your ticket here.
Visit the Lauterbrunnen Valley Museum
The Lauterbrunnen Valley Museum is a must-visit for anyone interested in the history of the region. The museum features exhibits on the geology, flora, fauna, and culture of the valley of Lauterbrunnen.
Check Out Piz Gloria and James Bond Movie filming location
Piz Gloria is a stunning mountain peak and revolving restaurant located atop the Schilthorn mountain in the Swiss Alps. Situated at an elevation of 2,970 meters (9,744 feet), Piz Gloria offers breathtaking panoramic views of the surrounding peaks, including the Eiger, Mönch, and Jungfrau. The name “Piz Gloria” gained global recognition as it was featured in the James Bond movie “On Her Majesty’s Secret Service” in 1969. This is one of the popular things to do in Lauterbrunnen.
The distinctive revolving restaurant provides a unique dining experience, allowing guests to enjoy a 360-degree view of the breathtaking Alpine scenery while indulging in delicious Swiss cuisine. The observation deck offers a breathtaking vantage point to soak in the majestic beauty of the Bernese Oberland region. Additionally, Piz Gloria is home to a James Bond-themed exhibition, showcasing memorabilia and interactive displays related to the iconic film. Accessible by cable car from the village of Mürren, Piz Gloria is a must-visit destination for Bond enthusiasts, nature lovers, and anyone seeking an unforgettable experience in the Swiss Alps. Book your tickets here.
Explore the Village
Lauterbrunnen is a charming village with traditional Swiss architecture and plenty of shops and restaurants. Take a stroll through the village and take in the sights and sounds. You’ll probably run into cows with beautiful bells playing all over the Lauterbrunnen Valley.
Go Skiing or snowboarding
Lauterbrunnen is a great destination for skiing and snowboarding in the winter. The surrounding mountains offer plenty of runs for all skill levels, and several ski resorts are within easy reach of the village. There are a lot of winter activities when it comes to things to do in Lauterbrunnen from snowshoeing to snowboarding and skiing, you’ll never run out of options here.
Visit the Schilthorn
The Schilthorn is a mountain peak that offers panoramic views of the surrounding mountains and valleys. You can reach the peak by cable car and enjoy a meal at the revolving restaurant at the top.
Take a Glacier Walk
During the winter time, Lauterbrunnen is surrounded by glaciers, and taking a guided glacier walk is a unique and exciting experience. You can explore ice caves, walk on the glacier, and take in the stunning views. Or visit the ice caves at the Top of Europe all year long.
Visit the Wengen Ski Resort
The Wengen Ski Resort is a popular destination for skiing and snowboarding in the winter. The resort also offers hiking and mountain biking in the summer, with stunning views of the valley.
Take a Helicopter Tour
If you want to see Lauterbrunnen from a different perspective, a helicopter tour is a must. You can soar above the mountains and valleys and take in stunning views from the air. This can be one of the more expensive things to do in Lauterbrunnen, but it can be completely worth it to get those breathtaking mountain views. However, you’ll still be able to see a lot while on the top of the mountains.
Visit the Eiger Trail
The Eiger Trail is a moderate-level hiking trail that stretches approximately 6.4 kilometers (4 miles) from Eigergletscher to Alpiglen. It typically takes around 2.5 to 3 hours to complete, depending on your pace and the stops you make along the way. The trail begins at Eigergletscher, which is accessible by taking the Jungfrau Railway from Kleine Scheidegg. The railway ride itself offers incredible views of the Swiss Alps, and once you reach Eigergletscher, you can start your hike.
Lauterbrunnen is a great destination for biking, with plenty of trails and routes for all skill levels. You can rent a bike in the village and explore the surrounding countryside.
Visit the Schynige Platte
Schynige Platte is a mountain ridge located in the Bernese Oberland region of Switzerland, near the town of Wilderswil. Schynige Platte is accessible by a historic cogwheel train, the Schynige Platte Railway. The railway departs from Wilderswil, and the scenic journey takes approximately 52 minutes. The train passes through meadows, forests, and rocky terrain, offering stunning views along the way.
Take a Boat Tour
Lake Brienz is a beautiful lake near Lauterbrunnen, and taking a boat tour is a great way to explore the lake and its surroundings. You can also rent a paddleboat and explore the lake on your own.
Visit the Aletsch Glacier
The Aletsch Glacier is the largest glacier in the Alps and a UNESCO World Heritage Site. You can reach the glacier by taking a cable car to the Eggishorn and hiking to the glacier.
Visit the Lauterbrunnen Church
The Lauterbrunnen Church is a historic church in the village with beautiful interior and stunning stained glass windows. The church is open to visitors and is a must-visit for anyone interested in the history of the region.
Canyoning is a popular activity in Lauterbrunnen, with several companies offering guided tours. You can explore the natural beauty of the region by rappelling down waterfalls, jumping into pools, and sliding down natural rock slides.
Take a Horse-drawn Carriage Ride
If you’re looking for a more leisurely way to explore the region, taking a horse-drawn carriage ride is a great option. You can enjoy the stunning views and take in the natural beauty of the region at a slower pace. You can find the horse-drawn carriages down in Interlaken where you can tour the town.
Visit the St. Beatus Caves
The St. Beatus Caves are a network of limestone caves near Lauterbrunnen. The caves are accessible by a short hike and offer a unique and fascinating underground experience.
Play Mini Golf
Mini golf is a popular activity in Lauterbrunnen, and there are several mini golf courses located in and around the village. Here are some places to play mini-golf in Lauterbrunnen:
- Camping Jungfrau
- Hotel Staubbach
- Hotel Silberhorn
- Mountain Hostel
- Hotel Alpenruh
- Tourist Center in Wengen – You can easily pay to play some mini golf in Wengen if you take the train up and chat with the people at the tourist center.
Mini golf is a fun and family-friendly activity that visitors can enjoy in Lauterbrunnen. Whether you’re staying at a hotel or camping site, or just passing through the village, there are several mini golf courses available for visitors to enjoy. This was probably one of our favorite things to do in Lauterbrunnen. We love playing mini golf, in fact, my husband plays mini golf with his dad every weekend on his oculus.
Things to do in Lauterbrunnen during Winter
Lauterbrunnen is a popular winter destination and offers a variety of activities for visitors to enjoy during the winter months. Here are some things to do in Lauterbrunnen during winter:
- Skiing and Snowboarding – Lauterbrunnen is a great destination for winter sports, with several ski resorts located nearby. The most popular ski areas are Mürren-Schilthorn, Wengen-Grindelwald, and Kleine Scheidegg-Männlichen. Visitors can enjoy a variety of runs, from beginner to advanced.
- Snowshoeing – Snowshoeing is a great way to explore the snowy winter landscape of Lauterbrunnen. Visitors can rent snowshoes in the village and explore the many trails and paths in the surrounding countryside.
- Ice Climbing – For the more adventurous, Lauterbrunnen offers several opportunities for ice climbing. Visitors can book a guided tour and climb frozen waterfalls and ice formations in the area.
- Ice Skating – Lauterbrunnen has an outdoor ice skating rink located in the village center. The rink is open to the public and is a great way to enjoy some winter fun with family and friends.
- Paragliding – Paragliding is a popular activity in Lauterbrunnen year-round, but it’s especially exhilarating during the winter months. Visitors can book a tandem paragliding flight and soar over the snowy landscape.
- Indoor Activities – For those who prefer to stay indoors, Lauterbrunnen has several options for indoor activities. Visitors can visit the Trümmelbach Falls, which are located inside a mountain, or explore the local museums and galleries.
Things to do in Lauterbrunnen during Summer
Lauterbrunnen is a popular summer destination and offers a variety of activities for visitors to enjoy during the warmer months. Here are some things to do in Lauterbrunnen during summer:
- Hiking – Lauterbrunnen is known for its scenic hiking trails, which offer stunning views of the surrounding mountains and valleys. Visitors can explore the many trails in the area, including the famous Eiger Trail and the Schilthorn Trail.
- Paragliding – Paragliding is a popular activity in Lauterbrunnen, and there’s no better time to do it than during the summer months. Visitors can book a tandem paragliding flight and soar over the breathtaking Alpine scenery.
- Canyoning – Canyoning is a thrilling activity that involves descending down waterfalls and through narrow canyons. Visitors can book a guided tour and explore the canyons around Lauterbrunnen.
- Biking – Lauterbrunnen is a great destination for biking, with several trails and routes for all skill levels. Visitors can rent a bike in the village and explore the surrounding countryside.
- Swimming – Lauterbrunnen has several natural swimming pools and lakes where visitors can cool off on hot summer days. The most popular swimming spot is the Trümmelbach Falls, which has several pools and waterfalls.
- Sightseeing – Lauterbrunnen is home to several stunning sights and attractions, including the famous Staubbach Falls and the Trümmelbach Falls. Visitors can also take a cable car up to the Schilthorn or the Jungfraujoch and enjoy the panoramic views.
Where to eat in Lauterbrunnen
Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland is a small village, but it has plenty of options when it comes to dining. Here are some of the best restaurants in Lauterbrunnen and what they serve:
- Hotel Oberland – This restaurant is part of a hotel in the village center and serves traditional Swiss cuisine, including raclette, fondue, and rosti. The restaurant has a cozy atmosphere and a large outdoor terrace.
- Horner Pub – This pub-style restaurant serves a variety of dishes, including burgers, pizza, and salads. The restaurant also has a bar with a large selection of beers and spirits.
- Airtime Cafe – This cafe is located near the cable car station and serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The menu features a variety of dishes, including sandwiches, salads, and pasta.
- Pizzeria da Sina – This pizzeria serves delicious pizzas and pasta dishes. The restaurant has a cozy atmosphere and a large outdoor terrace.
- Hotel Staubbach – This restaurant is part of a hotel that overlooks the famous Staubbach Falls. The menu features traditional Swiss cuisine, including raclette, fondue, and rosti.
- Swiss Hütte – This restaurant is located on the Schilthorn and offers stunning views of the surrounding mountains. The menu features a variety of Swiss dishes, including sausages, cheese, and wine.
- Restaurant Schützen – This restaurant is located in the village center and serves a variety of dishes, including pizza, burgers, and salads. The restaurant has a large outdoor terrace with views of the surrounding mountains.
When is the best time to visit Lauterbrunnen?
The best time to visit Lauterbrunnen village depends on your preferences and what you want to do during your visit. Here are some factors to consider:
- Weather – Lauterbrunnen has a relatively mild climate, but temperatures can vary significantly depending on the season. The summer months from June to September are generally warm and sunny, with average temperatures in the mid-20s Celsius (70s Fahrenheit). The winter months from December to February are cold and snowy, with average temperatures around freezing. If you want to go skiing or snowboarding or any snow activities then winter will be your best friend, if you want to go hiking and enjoy cool comfortable weather then the summer months will be a good time to visit.
- Outdoor Activities – Lauterbrunnen is a popular destination for outdoor activities such as skiing, snowboarding, and snowshoeing in the winter, and hiking, paragliding, and canyoning in the summer. The best time to visit for winter sports is from December to February, while the best time for hiking and other summer activities is from June to September.
- Crowds – Lauterbrunnen is a popular tourist destination, and the number of visitors can vary significantly depending on the season. The summer months are the busiest, with crowds peaking in July and August. The winter months are generally less crowded, with fewer visitors.
- Festivals and Events – Lauterbrunnen hosts several festivals and events throughout the year, including the Lauterbrunnen Dorffest in August and the Christmas Market in December. If you’re interested in attending these events, be sure to visit during the appropriate season.
The best time to visit Lauterbrunnen depends on your preferences and what you things to do in Lauterbrunnen are important to you. Whether you’re looking for outdoor adventures, cultural experiences, or just a relaxing getaway, Lauterbrunnen has something to offer year-round.
Where to stay in Lauterbrunnen
The village of Lauterbrunnen has several accommodation options to suit every budget and preference. Since there are so many things to do in Lauterbrunnen and the surrounding area, it’s important to book your accomodation fairly early. Here are some of the best places to stay in Lauterbrunnen:
- Hotel Oberland – This hotel is located in the village center and offers comfortable rooms with stunning mountain views. The hotel also has a restaurant, bar, and outdoor terrace.
- Camping Jungfrau – This camping site is located just outside the village and offers both camping and glamping options. The site has a restaurant, bar, and plenty of outdoor activities, including mini-golf and a playground.
- Hotel Staubbach – This hotel is located near the famous Staubbach Falls and offers comfortable rooms with mountain views.
- Hotel Schützen – This hotel is located in the village center and offers cozy rooms with traditional Swiss decor.
- Chalet Rosa – This chalet-style hotel is located just outside the village and offers cozy rooms with mountain views.
Weather in Lauterbrunnen
Lauterbrunnen has a relatively mild climate, with temperatures that vary depending on the season. Here’s an overview of the weather in Lauterbrunnen throughout the year:
Spring (March – May)
In the spring, temperatures in Lauterbrunnen begin to warm up, and the snow starts to melt. Average temperatures during this time range from 5°C to 15°C (41°F to 59°F). The weather can be unpredictable, with occasional rain and snowfall.
Summer (June – August)
Summer is the most popular season to visit Lauterbrunnen, with warm and sunny weather. Average temperatures during this time range from 15°C to 25°C (59°F to 77°F). However, temperatures can drop significantly at higher altitudes, so it’s important to dress in layers.
Fall (September – November)
Fall in Lauterbrunnen is a beautiful season, with colorful foliage and fewer tourists. Average temperatures during this time range from 5°C to 15°C (41°F to 59°F). The weather can be unpredictable, with occasional rain and snowfall.
Winter (December – February)
Winter is a popular season for winter sports in Lauterbrunnen, with plenty of snow and chilly temperatures. Average temperatures during this time range from -5°C to 5°C (23°F to 41°F). It’s important to dress warmly and be prepared for snow and icy conditions.
Lauterbrunnen is a great destination to visit year-round, with each season offering its own unique beauty and activities. Whether you’re looking for winter sports, hiking, or just enjoying the stunning scenery, Lauterbrunnen has something to offer in every season.
How to get to Lauterbrunnen
Lauterbrunnen is located in the heart of the Swiss Alps and is easily accessible by car or public transportation. Here are some ways to get to Lauterbrunnen:
Lauterbrunnen is connected to the Swiss railway network and is easily accessible by train from major Swiss cities such as Zurich, Geneva, and Bern. The train journey to Lauterbrunnen from Interlaken takes around 20 minutes and offers stunning views of the surrounding mountains.
Lauterbrunnen is located about 2.5 hours by car from Zurich and about 3.5 hours from Geneva. The village is easily accessible by car, and there are several parking options available in the village.
The nearest major airports to Lauterbrunnen are Zurich Airport and Geneva Airport, both of which are well-connected to major cities around the world. From the airport, visitors can take a train or rent a car to reach Lauterbrunnen.
Lauterbrunnen is also accessible by bus from nearby towns and villages. The local bus service connects Lauterbrunnen to nearby villages such as Wengen, Murren, and Grindelwald.
How to get around Lauterbrunnen
Lauterbrunnen is a small village, and most of its attractions are within walking distance. However, if you want to explore the surrounding area or visit nearby villages and towns, there are several transportation options available. Here are some ways to get around Lauterbrunnen:
Walking in Lauterbrunnen
The village is small and easily walkable. Most attractions, restaurants, and shops are located within a few minutes’ walk of each other.
Lauterbrunnen is a great destination for biking, with several trails and routes for all skill levels. You can rent a bike in the village and explore the surrounding countryside.
Lauterbrunnen has a good public transportation system, with buses and trains connecting the village to nearby towns and attractions. The village is also a hub for the Jungfrau Railway, which connects the region’s major attractions, including the Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn.
Taxis aren’t really available in the village. If you need a taxi, it’s best to book in advance.
Rental cars are available in the village, but they are not necessary unless you plan to explore the surrounding area. Parking can be limited in the village, so it’s best to check with your hotel or rental agency before bringing a car. Renting a car for this area is pretty much not needed, there are many towns and villages that are not available by vehicle and require taking cable cars and trains.
You may want a rental car to get to Lauterbrunnen initially, but not to travel around the general area. I would say rental cars are not necessary when checking out things to do in Lauterbrunnen. Once in the area, it’s mainly walking and hiking to get around the town.
Where to park in Lauterbrunnen
Parking in Lauterbrunnen can be limited, especially during peak tourist seasons. However, there are several options available for visitors who are driving. When planning your trip for things to do in Lauterbrunnen, it’s important to completely do the research. Here are some places to park in Lauterbrunnen:
- Lauterbrunnen Railway Station Parking – This is a large public parking area located near the train station. The parking lot has both covered and uncovered spaces, and it is open 24 hours a day. The cost is CHF 5 per hour, or CHF 20 per day.
- Hotel Oberland Parking – This hotel has a private parking lot for its guests, but it is also available to the public. The cost is CHF 10 per day.
- Camping Jungfrau Parking – This camping site has a parking area for its guests, but it is also available to the public. The cost is CHF 10 per day.
- Schilthornbahn Parking – This parking lot is located near the cable car station and is primarily used by visitors to the Schilthorn. The cost is CHF 5 per hour, or CHF 15 per day.
- Hotel Staubbach Parking – This hotel has a small parking lot for its guests, but it is also available to the public. The cost is CHF 5 per day.
Overall, Lauterbrunnen is a destination that offers something for everyone, from adrenaline-pumping activities to leisurely strolls through the village. The natural beauty of the region, combined with its rich culture and history, make Lauterbrunnen a must-visit destination for any traveler to Switzerland. These 21 things to do in Lauterbrunnen are just a small sample of the many experiences and activities that await you in this charming Swiss village.
Liked this post on Things to do in Lauterbrunnen? Be sure to pin it!